Tuesday, April 18, 2017

T Stands for Tueday

Good morning my Tuesday FRIENDS!
This is a quick one today as I'm running later than normal and really must dash off to work soon. It's getting harder and harder to not resent the measly 12 hours a week I work. LOL! 
I finally finished the Monarch painting!!! 
Which is perfect timing because the Monarchs have returned 😊

One very busy lady laid hundreds of eggs on my tiny little newly sprouted milkweed plants.

I brought in one little leaf and it had 11 eggs on it. They have all hatched and we have 10 little caterpillars now. One died right away which happens often. Six of the 10 remaining are not looking healthy and will probably not make it. they are often hatched with a virus.

Every time I have to bring in a new leaf or partial leaf for feeding it has at least one new egg on it. So I'll keep replacing the ones I've lost sort of :) 
I've never had Spring eggs before. It's always been late summer or fall. I guess the word is out that the milkweed is here 😄
These little ones are super tiny when hatched. Here are a couple of photos for reference. 

So that's what's happening in my world this week ♥
Today's Random Thoughts...



16 comments:

  1. Good morning, you are so good with the monarchs-have a good day at work
    Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww.... look at those wee little caterpillars!!! Fingers crossed that you have success this year raising them... Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I have never seen such teeny caterpillars. Thanks for the fab photos, and for caring for them. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting turned out great, and I am super impressed with your teeny, tiny caterpillars that will hopefully turn into monarchs one day. And of course, I LOVE the poli-tics thought, too. Have a super T Tuesday, Carol. BTW, is that water in the bowl with the caterpillars and eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not water. They get their liquid needs filled from the leaves they eat. I do on occasion brush the leaves with water... just because.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, it is lovely to see the Monarchs back again and busy laying eggs - the word must have gotten out about your milkweed ... lol! Glad to see the enjoyment you get out of hatching the eggs and your painting captures the Monarch's beauty perfectly! Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the finished painting, really beautiful. Glad you are saving the monarchs again, Hope lots of new butterflies can be released into the world soon. We visited a butterfly room in the tropical house at the zoo today, lots of beauties there, too. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful painting!
    Fingers crossed that you have success with raising them... Happy T day! Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy T Day

    A wonderful page for the very beautiful monarch butterfly.

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your painting looks fantastic. I was interested to see the photos you shared , I hope all you get many beautiful butterflies as the year moves on.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. COOL! I love seeing the butterfly eggs. I am going to look for them myself as I have never seen them. hope lots hatch because I know like bees, Monarch numbers seem to be going down too. happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating with the Monarchs! We have seen them here. I will have to check our milkweed. The Monarch painting is a smile-maker! Good Morning... such a beautiful day yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the info on Monarchs and the great photos that put the litte guys in perspective, Carol. I didn't know about a virus that affects the young ones. That's sad.

    I thought Monarchs were declining because their habitats are being wiped out by development. A neighbor keeps milkweed to attract the Monarchs. After eggs are laid, he cuts the milkweed and moves it to a cage where birds can't get the babies. A lot of work, but his efforts add 100s of Monarchs to the populations every year.

    Happy Earth Day and Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That's wonderful that you are trying to 'grow' more monarchs. Keep doing it and the population will certainly grow. Very interesting.
    I love the quotes, especially the one about politics. Haha.
    Belated happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Carol! Good Luck with the Monarchs - they are beautiful - I love your painting too! Belated Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so cheered by your monarch photos! We used to have so many here, but I haven't seen one in years. Thanks for what you do in support of them :)

    ReplyDelete