Saturday, July 17, 2010

Macro Flowers Saturday

Moonflower Bush
I know that it has another name and some say it's not a true moon flower but I love it by whatever you want to call it. Last evening I was lucky enough to get to watch the process of the bud opening. Unfortunately I loaded these in the reverse order but you still get the picture. This is my first blossom of the year. My bush is in the shade so it's always later to bloom than others in this area but then my blooms also last until late morning or early afternoon to fade so it's worth the wait for bloom time.
Almost there and smelling so heavenly!
Starting to unfurl... is that really a word?
Loosening up....
Getting ready
Tonight will be the night.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful series of macro photos, following the evolution of an opening bud.
    They are a member of the big family of moon flowers. These are also called Angel's Trumpet and they are highly poisonous.
    Than again, there are many species of Angel's trumpet too.

    Thanks for the beautiful contribution to Macro Flowers Saturday!
    Could you please, link back to the meme too?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is such a beautiful bloom - I love the way it unfurls and twists its petals - its ever so artistic. I think your plant is extremely photogenic. Great pics. :) Rosie

    http://centreofinterest.blogspot.com/2010/07/sempervivum-houseleek-macro-photography.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos made me smile...you know why? I was waiting patiently for a rose in the garden to bloom well it already started, I was planning to take a photo of it from bud into full bloom but it started to rain. Your macro shots are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this plant as datura. Yes, it is poisonous, so don't eat it. Just take more gorgeous photos!! My favoutite is the one where it is unfurling!! But it was so hard to choose a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful photos, Carol and it is called Datura! I had a purple and white one called cornucopia one year! They are beautiful, but they also take up space where I usually don't want them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic captures. You have captured the entire process beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You capture the most beautiful process of the bloom. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sequence showing the magic of the unfurling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all who commented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I call it moon flower too. Mine is really blooming right now. Great series of photos.

    ReplyDelete