Saturday, June 19, 2010

You are never too old ............






You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.


A single line posted by a coworker on his Facebook status this week and it has created hours of deep thought for me. Next week is my birthday and I turn 58. Now 58 is not old but it sure is getting close to that turning point. I can no longer deny that I'm almost 60 years old and there are more years behind me than before me. Which makes me feel like I have to work harder and faster to get all the things in life I want to do accomplished.
Could be why I've pushed myself so hard this year to build my gardens the way I want them to look. My mother tells me I work too hard and that I'll be old before my time if I keep it up... I feel it keeps me young. Sure I'm not as physically strong as I used to be...but when I'm out in the yard working and sweating I feel connected and at peace . All the stress in my life just seems to disappear or at least shrink down to a size that I feel I can deal with.
So I'll continue to pull and chop... dig and plant until the time comes when I just can't do it anymore and then maybe I'll admit I'm getting old.

Here are some shots of the flowers in bloom around my place this week.


4 comments:

  1. What a nice post, Carol. I think we all stop and take stock throughout our lives. Lovely flowers. I wish I could garden as well as you! Personally, I have my #. I've made up my mind I'm going to die when I'm 104....just long enough to enjoy my fame on the Smuckers spot on the early show for awhile. Now the trick is to figure out how to keep this body working smoothly for the next half century! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is next week! Happy birthday to us! Never too old to start something new, I say. If you don't have something to look forward to - then what is the purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful flowers -- there is nothing like garden flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete