Saturday, October 9, 2010

Macro Flowers Saturday




The Marigold

As summer wanes about the only flowers in the garden that remain in their full glory is my marigolds. I love the marigolds... how could I not ...growing up in the "Marigold Capitol of the World" also know as Pekin , Illinois.  The home town of the late  U.S. Senator Everett Dirkson who also happened to love the marigold. 
I plant marigolds everywhere, along  the borders of my flower beds and randomly throughout the veggie garden. They are great for color boost and help to keep ants away...they look pretty but smell  horrible. I've even dyed yarn with them in the past ..now that was  a smelly job for sure. But the yarn was beautiful and fortunately didn't retain any of the "smell" of the marigold.

Check out the rest of the post for 
Macro Flowers Saturday
here:

Macro Flowers Saturday badge 1


12 comments:

  1. They are beautiful and very good companion plants.
    Your photos captured well their colorful, velvety petals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love marigolds, but I do not find the smell terrible. In small amounts, I even like it...
    I love the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. The colors pop out at you and you've capture them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poor marigold always gets a bad rap. They have such gorgeous colourations to them. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are blooming all year long here,as much as I love to photographed them, just can't stand their smell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love marigolds smell and all. Just saw a beautiful yard yesterday with them all along the edge. Beautiful photo BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wanted marigolds for my yard, but never get around to them. Your photos are so beautiful.

    If you enjoy meme and challenges, come by and join us for Thursday Two Questions at http://www.blessingreflections.com/p/thursday-two-questions.html
    We would love to have your participation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love marigolds too, great close up photo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marigolds are hardy and long lasting! You certainly have a pretty batch remaining in your yard. Thanks for stopping by at my flower. Enjoy the start to a new week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are gorgeous. I'm not fond of their fragrance, but they are beautiful. My favorite part, they bloom all summer. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. Love its golden color!

    ReplyDelete